Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Beauty Favorites: Part II - Makeup

In part two of my 2014 beauty favorites (part one here), I'll focus specifically on makeup favorites.

Primer

Primer and I were not fast friends - I've only recently stumbled across one I can take seriously; Smashbox's Hydrating Primer is, in my book, one of the better primers on the market and one I consistently recommend to clients with ALL skin types, not just dry skin. The formula is lightweight, oil-free, and definitely adds something to the overall makeup look. I'm still not entirely sold on primers, but this guy is definitely a diamond in the rough.


Foundation


I love foundation, I cannot lie. Being my most loved makeup product, it is also the category I most heavily scrutinize. For a foundation to impress me, it has to be the real deal - coverage, longevity, true-to-skin shades, and general kickass-ness. (Just a quick aside, I have oily skin prone to breakouts if I'm not kind to it, NW 15-20). My favorite foundation for my skin (I'll explain) is Trish McEvoy's Even Skin Liquid Foundation. This stuff gives me life. It's a thin, watery formulation à la Chanel's Vitalumière Aqua, with a sheer to medium buildable coverage that never looks overdone - seriously, I think you could use the entire bottle and still not look like a drag queen (no tea no shade). That said, the shade range leaves a lot to be desired, though if you're a rich old white woman (McEvoy's target audience) you should be able to find match. If you're unable to find a shade match in Even Skin, I will never not recommend NARS Sheer Glow and Sheer Matte foundations. Don't let the name mislead you, there's nothing particularly sheer about either formulation, nor is Sheer Glow particularly glowy or Sheer Matte particularly matte. Questionable naming aside, both formulas provide long lasting coverage and the shade range is off the chain.


Concealer

Clarins Instant Concealer, 'nuff said.

Eye Shadow

I cannot praise LORAC's eye shadow formula enough - soft, almost buttery, richly pigmented, and minimal fall out. The original LORAC Pro Palette will always be a staple, but the LORAC Mega Pro Palette took the whole production another level. Unfortunately, the Mega PRO was a limited edition palette and has since sold out, but if you got your hands on it, hold it tightly and tell it how special it is.

Blush

When it comes to powder anything, Hourglass just does it right. Their Ambient Lighting Blush in Ethereal Glow is wonderful, especially for those of us cursed blessed with pale, cool-toned complexions. It provides a gentle, rosy glow to the cheeks.

Mascara

CoverGirl Clump Crusher will always have my heart. I suppose Lancome's Grandiose was okay, though.

Lips

Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector continue to stand the test of time - never sticky, always appropriate, easy application. They're the whole package. For a true lipstick, NARS Audacious lipsticks were a welcomed addition to the game in 2014; the formula is creamy, opaque, and the colours (and names!) iconic. Bravo, NARS.










No comments:

Post a Comment