Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 Beauty Favorites: Part I - Skincare

Usually I'm an out with the old, in with the new kinda guy, but occasionally I find a product/person/Trader Joe's snack worth holding on to; worth recommending, even! Without further ado, here's the best bits of 2014 according to your's truly.

Cleanser

2014, the year of the oil cleanse. Yes, yes, I know the OCM (oil cleansing method) has been around forEVER, but brands didn't and in 2014 they finally realised that perhaps their eccentric aunt with the penchant for shopping bags and olive oil on ALL OF THE THINGS was, well, maybe onto something. DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil has long been a favorite, and for good reason. It's basic, yet gentle and incredibly effective. Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm is my go-to for a facial message and is endorsed by the one and only Caroline Hirons. For a more traditional cleanse, I adore Kate Somerville's Detox Daily Cleanser. Though aimed at blemish-prone skin, Detox Daily is a solid cleanser for all but the most dry and sensitive.

Toner

Toner is important, people! Seriously, nine times out of ten when someone comes to me for advice and they've got the "I've tried it all" pin, toner is what they're missing. Toners have such wonderful benefits and have come sooooooo far. Peter Thomas Roth's Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads are wonderful for congested, stressed skin, though are perhaps a bit much for sensitive skin. Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner is wonderful and a true HG product (if you're adverse to fragrance, just avoid Clarins all together).

Serum

Many still aren't sold on serum, which is a pity because right now the technology in those buggers is extraordinary and they're only getting better. What an exciting time to be alive! Unlike my east Asian brothers and sisters, I haven't the time/patience/dedication for a multi-serum routine, so I need my serums to really be jacks of all trades. Clarins Double Serum relaunched in 2013 and has been massively successful, despite a very vocal backlash regarding one of the star ingredients, Paraffinum Liquidum, aka mineral oil. I've no issues with mineral oil in skincare, and Clarins newest reformulation of Double Serum is, in my opinion, one of the best catchall serums on the market. I also love Kate Somerville's Total Vitamin Serum, but as it has since been discontinued, I apologize for dangling that in front of your face.


Moisturizer

As someone with dehydrated, oily, blemish-prone skin, moisturizers are the Catwoman to my Batman - seductive and promising, yet obviously dangerous and often up to no good. Certain ingredients common in moisturizers for dehydrated skin are anathema to the health of my skin (butters), so I'm very specific when selecting a moisturizer. Currently, I'm all about CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (the one in the tub) - it's simple, effective, and best of all, cheap! When I'm feeling extra dry, I reach for Chanel's Hydra Beauty Gel Creme, though the smell can be a bit overwhelming.

Eye Cream

Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate has been a standard in my stash for a long while, though in all honesty, I usually use my facial moisturizer/serum around the eye!

Masks/Peels

Peter Thomas Roth is my go-to in the peel department. The Pumpkin Enzyme Mask is about the only time a scrub will touch my face. The 40% Triple Acid Peel is also wonderful. REN's Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask is wonderful when my skin is looking a bit tired. And finally, as much as I hate to admit it, Fresh's Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask was a true standout this year, just don't tell anyone I told you so.

Stay tuned for part II!


No comments:

Post a Comment